Collecting Original Art Deco Posters
Some links from this site lead to third parties who pay us a commission if you buy something. This allows us to keep providing the information on this site free of charge!
Read about original Art Deco posters, what to collect and who to
collect. Learn about the artists and the different themes they loved to
design. Check out my collecting tips for buying and conservation and finally, check out some current listings.
O Cap by Charles Loupot
Posters and prints of the Art Deco era represent the best of graphic design in this century. The printer's art had reached previously unknown levels of skill and quality, graphic designers were producing outstanding new and modern images to reflect the progress of the age.
Nord Express by Cassandre
The opulence of the 1920s brought about a period of mass consumerism
and mass production which in turn needed an advertising industry to
Billboards and magazines were the means of reaching the widest audience and graphic design became a hot new profession.
What Posters to Collect
Most collectors of original Art Deco posters narrow down their choice by
subject, artist, size or medium. There is a huge range of subjects to
- Fashion prints from the magazines of the day allow for a
wide choice and are still widely available and affordable. Click here to see a wide range of gorgeous fashion prints.
cigarettes, alcohol, or cosmetics are popular subjects for poster or
print collectors and there are lots available.
Metropolis 1926 Movie Poster
Collecting Individual Artists
Collecting individual artists can be much more difficult and expensive,
especially if one picks a big name.
there are equally attractive Art Deco posters by many lesser known
artists which can be very affordable. Even some of the lesser known or
later works of the big names can still be surprisingly inexpensive.
Collecting Tips for Original Art Deco Posters
My best advice is always buy what you like, and buy the best you can
afford. Look out for condition. Small amounts of foxing and dirt can be
restored by an expert, but fading by sunlight is impossible to
rectify. The trend these days is to restore as little as possible, but a little gentle cleaning can make a big difference.
- Investigate your dealer
- Ask for a detailed receipt with a
full description and
- Make sure that your dealer has a clear returns
- Art Deco posters were often printed on thin paper as they were designed to be thrown away. These need to be backed onto linen or Japan paper using a reversible vegetable paste.
- Original Art Deco posters and prints should never be repaired using normal adhesive tape which can cause enormous damage. Special acid free tape should be used to repair small tears.
- Care should be taken to protect both prints and posters from damp, pollution and most of all sunlight. Fading is irreversible although damage from damp and pollution can be fixed by an expert.
- Mount prints between two sheets of thick acid free board without using any tape or glue if possible, making sure the paper doesn't touch the glass.
- Special reflective glass is available to minimise damage from sunlight if hanging your print in a bright room.
Check out the great range of original posters on Etsy by clicking on the banner below.
Didn't find what you were looking for? – Check out...
Original Art Deco Prints
> Art Deco Posters
> Original Art Deco Posters
Etsy has a surprisingly good range of Art Deco furniture, interior decor, art and prints, 1920s and 1930s fashion, accessories, jewellery and Bakelite. Click the banner to explore.
Join our Facebook Page so you never miss a thing!
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
Like this Page